Posted on: August 9th, 2012 by 25 Comments

#nexus7  out for delivery

#nexus7  out for delivery…. again.  So anyone else have hardware issues with their units or is all well in the Nexus 7 world now?  I'm getting LOTS of reports on the speaker issues from people via email.

1. I think these are people that just want to bitch. I've had mine for almost a month, and guess what? it's perfect.

+Lou Gagliardi  It seems to be hit or miss, either you have a perfect unit, or you have one falling apart 😛

3. Tim Glaser says:

Got mine in the first batch of preorders.  I haven't had any of the problems that I have seen reported.

I don't doubt that there are problems, but I'm sure it's a pretty small overall quantity compared to the amount that have shipped.

Buyers of this product are probably more tech savy and plugged in than buyers of other types of hardware.  Therefore they are quicker to notice the problems and faster to seek resolution and share experiences with others about their problems.

In any case, I'm sure that these problems will all be ironed out with a new batch of these boards.

4. leon taylor says:

My new one arrived today. All is good at last. Third time lucky.

5. Nate Behary says:

My screen is lifting a very small bit, but it's barely noticeable and the device works fine.

6. All is well. When i got mine last week the tape holding the box closed was cut open and retaped. I called nexus customer service about it and i was informed that they were making sure all new orders did not have a screen or speaker problem before shipping .

Glad to here they are checking, I told them I would be fine with the seal being broke if it meant they checked there were no issues. I hope this unit today is good! So excited again they better not let me down 😉

8. Tim Bond says:

I tend to have no idea what a good speaker sounds like and when one is bad, but I think mine is OK.  When I forget that I have a Sony Dash on my kitchen counter (it really is easy to forget), I will set the N7 up running pandora in the living room and it sounds fine as I walk around the apartment.

Well mine was an obviously blown speaker, even the system sounds sound sickly LoL where is UPS!!!!

10. W Nickolaou says:

My smaller half discovered my N7 this week and finds the speakers and screen work for his permitted youtube viewings.  His only complaint is that the gestures are not identical to the tablet.  If my toddler hasn't found a flaw to it yet, with his youthful antics I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  I however haven't had a quiet moment to appreciate the speakers yet.

So far so good, no issues that I've found yet 😀

12. Derrik Pates says:

Mine's still good, no problems at all. Sucks for you guys who have been having trouble.

So far third time is the charm!

Okay here we are a few days later and unfortunately the screen is coming apart on the right side now.  🙁  I'm really bummed out that they can't get these built right.

15. Tim Bond says:

Wow.  That is beyond shitty.
    Will any places let you trade it in directly in a store like GameStop or Office Depot?

i doubt it, i got it from google direct i'm assuming i'll have to deal with them direct.  it's really slight but i hear the sticking sound so i'm calling to give them a heads up.  At this point i'll keep it so i can do the reviews but yeah it'll most likely not go anywhere with me like i had planned

17. I don't get why people have had a problems. Seriously, mine is awesome and perfect.

Because they evidently don't have a good QC check though I'm not sure since when I got it the device was fine, but after a couple days for some reason the epoxy isn't holding the screen in place or something 😛

So far this unit has been >ok< it's still got squishy screen which is VERY annoying, when I get back from Seattle I'm going to follow up with Google to get it swapped out.

If that first units speaker was working fine I wouldn't be dealing with this screen issue, it felt VERY solid and almost made me cry to send it back 😛

20. Tim Bond says:

I've had ONE scary moment with my nexus so far.  Saturday I let the battery run completely down and it shut off.  I plugged it in and walked away. A few minutes later I picked it up to see something and, when it turned on, it was fine at first but suddenly the screen went black with random white dashes flying up it. Nothing would work until I held the power button down for a LONG time and it shut off. I left it charging for a long while before trying it again – and it was fine.  I was so worried it had bricked.

whoa okay good to know, keep the nexus charged 😀

22. Tim Bond says:

I do wonder if it is good to let it run down completely from time to time. I hear both "never do that" and "yes, that helps the battery" – who knows 🙂

yeah i did condition it the first couple of charges then i run it to about 5% and make sure to plug it in

and for what it's worth I do that with just about all my devices, except my MBA

25. Tim Bond says:

Hmmm – seems a few others have the same problem randomly but don't seem to associate it with running the battery out: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/203614-black-screen-anyone.html